Sunday 22 December 2013

Glittery Mince Pies

For me, mince pies are like turkey, I only really eat them because it's Christmas. Nonetheless I make them every year as they are a favourite in our household, especially when they're fresh out the oven.



You will find hundreds of different recipes online for mince pies but I prefer the most simple recipes that require the least amount of faff as they tend to be the yummiest. This Paul Hollywood recipe is just that.

 


Making pastry is much easier that people expect, simply combine all the ingredients: flour, butter, sugar and an egg together and add a small amount of cold water until a dough forms. Then once you've wrapped it in clingfilm and put it in the fridge to chill, you can make the filling.


However, I must admit I didn't make the mincemeat this year as I ran out of time, so instead I popped the pastry into the freezer for a short amount of time before rolling it out. Once you have cut the circles out of the pastry and lined the moulds, you can fill them with mincemeat and place a star on the top (to show off all the yummy mince meat underneath).


Once nicely browned, they can be taken out of the oven and sprinkled with lots of glitter to make them look even more Christmassy (you can now buy edible glitter from most supermarkets).


As I was giving these as gifts I placed them in bags and tied them with a bow.



No comments:

Post a Comment