Sunday 23 February 2014

Custard Creams

Custard Creams are arguably one of my favourite biscuits and tend to be eaten a pack at a time. So I thought I'd try making them myself, whilst nothing can compare to the real McCoy (in my opinion anyway), they were very close! I used a recipe I found on 'The Boy Who Bakes' blog.


The recipe is very simple to follow; combine the plain flour (225g), custard power (50g) and icing sugar (30g) together before adding in the cubed butter (175g) - I must point out that the recipe requires a electric mixer, I tried to combine it by hand but it proved impossible as it was too dry, therefore I added milk to make it into a dough. Then once you have mixed it into a dough it is ready to go into the fridge for half an hour. 


Then once the dough has rested in the fridge, you can begin rolling it out. They don't need long in the oven (about 15 minutes) so keep an eye on them to make sure they don't burn.


Whilst these are cooling (it's important they have cooled before piping the icing into the middle as the butter will melt) you can make the custard butter icing by combining butter (50g), icing sugar (200g) and custard power (2tbsp). A little bit of milk may also be needed to bring the dry ingredients together again - however be careful not to add too much as you still want it to be a thick icing (similar to the original biscuit).


Then place it into a piping bag and pipe a big blob into the middle of one of the two biscuits before sandwiching them together.


Then all that's left is to put the kettle on.


P.s Thank you PrintSmitten for my lovely new Bake Off tags!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea Beth! I love how you chose a heart shape rather than the usual rectangle! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it best not to try and compete with the real deal!

    ReplyDelete